Old Rip Van Winkle Bottle
About Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon
Founder: Julian Van Winkle Jr.
Year Founded: 1874
Distillery Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
Master Distiller / Blender: Julian P. Van Winkle, III
Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Essential Facts
- Known as one of the finest bourbons in the world, any bottle of Pappy Van Winkle is a rare find. What’s unknown is how many cases are available each year.
- While most bourbon is made from a mash of corn, rye and barley, the Van Winkle recipe calls for a sweeter mix of corn, wheat and barley malt. The wheat allows for more graceful aging.
- All Pappy Van Winkle bourbon is aged in new, charred oak barrels.
- Pappy Van Winkle isn’t just a catchy name; he was the family’s pioneering patriarch. The bourbon icon started out as a liquor salesman in the late 1800s and later ran his own distillery.
- The Sazerac Company now produces Pappy Van Winkle’s bourbon at its Buffalo Trace Distillery, but the original recipe is still used.
- The 13-year-old Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye Whiskey was the first premium aged rye whiskey on the market.
How you should drink Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon
- On the rocks
- With a bit of water